You have found the perfect rug, and you are ready to integrate it into your home’s décor. The only question now is whether you need an underlay or not. While the salesperson might seem quite insistent regarding a rug underlay at their Toronto store, they are not doing it for a commission. Instead, they are trying to help you preserve your investment.
5 Reasons Why You Need a Rug Pad
When you buy a rug, never leave the store without a rug pad too. From making your room more comfortable to protecting the carpet itself, you have more than one reason for doing so. If you think a rug pad is not worth the cost, here are a few reasons to reconsider:
1. Increase the Lifespan: Increase the lifetime of your carpet with an underlay. It helps reduce wear, prevents holes, and keeps your rug from fraying around the edges. When you purchase an expensive hand-woven rug, you need a rug pad too. You want
to preserve the pile of that rug and make sure it stays springing and resilient.
2. Protects Your Floors: Typically, you purchase an excellent rug to cover hard floor surfaces. If you allow the rug to sit without a pad, it can do more harm than good. Not only can liquids and spills seep through and damage your floor, but the rug can scratch and wear down your floor’s surface. A pad prevents all of this.
3. Prevent Slips and Falls: When your rug sits on a slick hard surface, it moves with you. This poses a severe trip and fall hazard. An anti-slip pad from Toronto carpeting stores will keep your rug from curling, wrinkling, and become a danger to safety.
4. Comfort and Quiet: Give your rug an extra-plush feeling while also absorbing the impact of your feet on its surface by using a pad.
5. Cleanliness: With a pad, you can prevent mold, mildew, and odours from settling into the carpet fibres, and you provide your rug with more air circulation.
How to Pick the Right Rug Underlay from Toronto Stores
When shopping for your rug, try to pick up the pad at the same time. That way you have the rug there for comparison.
The pad should be smaller in diameter than your rug’s size so that the edge of the carpet runs off the pad and onto the floor. When it is smaller, you prevent tripping hazards, but also keep the pad out of sight. Ideally, the pad should be 1-inch less on all sides of the rug.
Next, choose the type of pad. Most pads are made from natural materials, like felt and rubber. These do not damage your floor, keep the rug from sliding, and are safe for hardwood and tile alike. Synthetic mats are also available, but they might stick to the ground or yellow the underside of your carpet.
Even with an anti-slip pad under your rug, you need to have your rug cleaned regularly. If you have holes or damage from using your carpet without a pad, bring it into Babayan’s. Our professionals help restore your carpet, clean it, and can even repair any holes caused by regular wear.