Most people in Toronto know that the best way to keep a carpet clean is to vacuum it regularly. Vacuuming minimizes dust and improves indoor air quality. But not every carpet can be vacuumed in exactly the same way. Keep reading to learn more about the different types of wool rugs and the best vacuuming methods to use for each.
Vacuuming Tips for Woven, Tufted and Shag Wool Rugs
Short pile woven carpets with sturdy construction can handle vigorous vacuuming but for most other types of carpet, you’ll have to take care not to beat up your rug during cleaning:
- Shag—Never vacuum a shag rug with an upright vacuum or the long fibers may get caught in the rotating beater bar and damage your carpet. Instead, take your shag outside and give it a good shake. Or, for professional shag rug cleaning, visit the Toronto rug cleaning experts at Babayan’s.
- Tufted—Many tufted rugs are made with low-quality wool fibers which can easily break or shed if vacuumed too vigorously. Most upright vacuums are too harsh for tufted rugs. Use a handheld attachment to gently vacuum the surface or bring it in for professional wool rug cleaning.
- Wall-hanging rugs—Wool tapestries may not be exposed to foot traffic but they still accumulate dust. Use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe away any dust or pet hair that has settled on the surface of the carpet.
- Woven—Use a canister vacuum or an upright vacuum with the beater bar set to the highest position and then vacuum normally.
Some Takeaway Maintenance Tips
The following tips can help you ensure proper maintenance and extend the life of your rug.
- Gently does it—Beater bars are too harsh to use on wool rugs and can cause premature deterioration.
- Vacuum often—Don’t allow dust to accumulate or it can get ground into the carpet fibers and damage the backing.
- Blot don’t rub—If you spill something on your rug, use a paper towel or soft cloth to blot rather than rub the stain. That way you’ll avoid spreading the stain around or damaging the fibres.
- Use the proper padding—Using a rug pad can reduce the wear and tear on both your area rugs and the floor underneath.
- Get it cleaned—Add professional rug cleaning to your regular spring cleaning checklist to maximize the life of your carpet and keep your home fresh and clean.
Have Your Wool Rugs Professionally Cleaned
One of the best ways to care for your wool rugs is to enlist the help of a wool rug cleaning expert like Babayan’s. Wool rugs need to be washed every one to three years depending on a number of factors including:
- The quality of the rug
- The amount of traffic
- Whether or not you have pets or young children
- If the carpet is soiled or stained
And renting do-it-yourself carpet cleaning machines can simply soak the dirt embedded in your carpet and create a muddy mess that leaves you at risk of developing mold problems down the road.
To learn more, contact Babayans at 416-751-7676 or Toll-Free 1-888-376-8966 or Contact Babayans for an Estimate