What is old becomes new again. When it comes to all elements of design, nostalgia and previous trends have a way of returning to the limelight… or lava lamp light! Did you own a shag carpet in the ’60s or ’70s? Or have you recently discovered the lush comfort of this flooring option? Either way, you’ll be happy to know it is back in style. Here’s a brief history of how this distinct flooring choice has become popular again.
A Brief History of Shag Carpeting
Wondering what led to this resurgence? Read on for the ‘scoop’ on shag carpeting:
- Origins – It isn’t quite clear where the first shag carpets were used. Some trace them back to Ancient Greece, while others place their first appearance in the Middle East and Central Asia. Goat’s wool is said to be among the first and most common materials for shag carpets. They are thought to have made floors more comfortable in a range of spaces, from modest homes to luxurious palaces.
- Distinction – Shag carpets are recognizable from their deep pile. Loops of yarn leave the rug looking shaggy, haphazard and exceptionally soft if well-maintained. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and bold colours and are often associated with hippie culture. They are made of a variety of materials, from wool to cotton and leather. No matter the material of your shag carpet, keep it looking great with proper cleaning and maintenance by the experts at Babayan’s. We know that your shag rugs require specialized cleaning to keep the pile from getting matted or damaged.
- Popularity – These distinct rugs often conjure images of their first appearance in North American homes, covering the floors with tacky colours in counterculture homes from the ’60s to the late ’70s. Avocado green, harvest yellow and rust orange were popular shades that made the textured carpets stand out even more.
- Revival – After falling out of fashion, shag rugs are now no longer considered passé or outdated, and have become a sought-after design element in many homes. They add depth and texture to space and can be extremely comfortable and cozy! Whether you prefer the original hippy look or want a more polished option, many variations are now being produced to meet the tastes of homeowners. Updated, neutral colours and patterns have been introduced to make them appear more modern. Regardless, they remain a distinct and iconic feature in any room.
- Maintenance – Shag carpets need more attention and care than your average rug. The same deep pile that gives them their unique look and feel also makes them susceptible to getting dirty and damaged. Their long fibers can attract and trap dust, dirt and debris, making shag rugs one of the most difficult carpets to maintain. Buy a carpet rake to keep its appearance uniform and vacuum your rug frequently with a suction-only vacuum to avoid a buildup of dust and allergens from collecting.
Get Your Shag Carpet Professionally Cleaned in Etobicoke
Babayan’s is backed by 115 years of experience and the latest carpet cleaning techniques. We cleaned them the first time around and are ready to thoroughly clean your new shag carpets. Call us for fast, reliable and affordable carpet cleaning services in Toronto and surrounding areas.