With its home being on the floor, it’s not surprising that rugs take quite a beating. There are a few common problems that rug owners come up against, but with the proper techniques, you can keep your rug in good condition and looking its best. If you are unable to prevent some of these common issues, it is best to contact a professional Toronto carpet cleaner to ensure stain removal is done properly.
Preventing and Fixing Common Carpet and Rug Issues
It is important to protect your investment and keep your rug in the best shape possible. Here are some techniques you can use to keep your rug clean and beautiful for years to come:
- Stains – Spills, falls and pet accidents are a part of life, but they don’t have to be a part of your rug forever. If you encounter a spill, act quickly. Lightly blot the area with a cotton towel using a half water, half white vinegar solution. Ensure the rug is dry before returning it to its usual place. If the solution does not help, it may be time to call in a professional who is well versed in carpet stain removal.
- Discolouration – Rugs located in rooms with moisture and low natural light may be susceptible to yellowing, while those in high-traffic areas may exhibit greying. Yellowing rugs may be treated with a citric acid solution, and greying rugs may respond well to cleaning products designed for high-traffic areas. Identify what has caused discolouration, or turn to an expert to prevent permanent damage.
- White knots – Often after years of use, Oriental rugs begin to show signs of their weaving process, appearing as ‘white knots’ that are part of the rug’s cotton yarn foundation. If you can live with the look, accept the knots as a sign of the quality of your hand-made carpet. If you can’t, you may be able to shift knots to the underside of the rug, or use a dye or ink to camouflage the knots.
- Odor – Sometimes area rugs have a strong, unpleasant odor that comes from the latex coating on the underside of the rug. The odor may be only somewhat noticeable in-store but becomes especially potent in the smaller rooms of your home. It may be caused by faulty adhesive or latex used in manufacturing, and there is typically little that can be done to remove the scent. Professional cleaning or deodorizing is your best option, but even the best cleaners may not be able to provide permanent removal.
- Dirt – After so many footsteps, carpets accumulate dust, dirt and other debris deep in the fibers. If left untreated, carpets may have bare spots, loose fibers or holes. Vacuuming regularly is one of the easiest ways to ensure your carpet’s longevity.
Call the Professionals for Toronto Carpet Stain Removal
If you are unsure about a problem concerning your carpet, the carpet cleaning and rug repair professionals at Babayan’s can help restore your carpet to its original beauty.
Babayan’s offers professional carpet stain removal. We can safely remove all types of stains from even your most expensive rugs.